Monday, May 6, 2013

Deep In the Heart of Texas

In April we traveled through the hill country and then up through Oklahoma, Kansas and on to Kansas City, Missouri. We had a great time visiting with our children and saw lots of beautiful country. 

We went to the Bluebonnet Festival in Burnet which is something I've always wanted to do.  Lots to do in Burnet during festival weekend with crafts galore, rides, food and an air show. 

We had good mexican food at a place called The Maxican where we were given a hug and back rub by the sweet little lady hostess as we waited for our table.  She said she does that to everyone who walks in the door because most people don't get enough hugs!





One day we rode around to see wildflowers and stopped at this pretty church on a hillside with lots of bluebonnets.  It is in the community of Art which is between Llano and Mason.  The church was built in 1890 by the early German settlers. 




The front of the church has two large, double, Gothic-arch doors - originally designed to be used separately - one for men and one for women.  Seems the German Methodists were very strict and observed unwavering social and moral standards.  Even the seating was segregated, with the men sitting on one side and the women on the other.  Wow!  I wonder where the kids sat - probably not with Dad!


Llano County Courthouse

I love the old towns in Texas that have a town square with the courthouse in the center of the square.  This one was built in  1892. 







There is nothing like walking to get the feel of a country.
A fine landscape is like a piece of music;
it must be taken at the right tempo. 
Even a bicycle goes too fast.
Paul S. Mowrer
 
I'll be posting more about the rest of our trip soon.
Hope you all have a good week and enjoy some sunshine!

4 comments:

camp and cottage living said...

Beautiful bluebells and historic buildings!

HappyK said...

Great photos. Love the buildings and the flowers are beautiful.
I've always liked churches and think it would be great to buy one and turn it into a home.

Chatty Crone said...

I love the churches and the information - I am a Methodist - can't believe they were that strict! lol And the blue flowers. Thanks for coming by my blog.
Love, sandie

Carletta said...

These are wonderful shots! I love your mosaic of all the things you found.
Really love the next to last shot -lovely architecture!