Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Legend of the Bluebonnet

We're hoping to see lots of bluebonnets this weekend!   So far I've only seen a few patches here and there about town.  I planted lots of bluebonnet seeds this year but only about 4 plants have popped up so far. Maybe next year will be better.    They are my very favorite flower and a whole field of them is just breathtaking! 
This one is in our front yard.



These pictures were taken last year near Conroe.



The Legend of the Bluebonnet

The Texas fields are covered
With a blanket of deep blue.
But for a little Indian girl,
This would not be true.

Texas land was buried and dry.
Rains just would not come.
Indians danced and prayed for rain,
And beat upon their drums.

The Chief made a proclamation.
He appealed to one and all.
A prized possession must be sacrificed
Before the rains would fall.

The Indian camp was silent,
While each person searched his heart.
But when it came to sacrifice,
With possessions they would not part.

Suddenly a little girl stepped forth,
Holding her blue-clad doll.
She placed it in the roaring fire
and raindrops began to fall.

The rain brought forth the grass,
Among its blades, flowers of blue.
To be a sign for all the time
Of a love so pure and true.

Author Unknown 



May all your weeds be wildflowers!

6 comments:

Ginny Hartzler said...

I LOVE this!!!! We adore bluebonnets though they don't really grow here, I don't think I have ever seen a real one. One of our favorite songs is Gulf Coast Highway by Nanci Griffith, and is is about a couple with a hard life living in a little house filled with a yard of bluebonnets.I can't WAIT to show this to Phil and read him the legend, I am going to save it!

Alice said...

I love weeds (wildflowers:))

The bluebonnets are beautiful.

HappyK said...

Oh wow that are indeed beautiful!!!

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Oh how I love Bluebonnets.. That is one of my favorite memories from my 12 yrs in TX... We'd go to Chapel Hill and Brenham to see the Bluebonnets every year... LOVE those little beauties!!

Thanks for the memories.
Hugs,
Betsy

Carletta said...

Beautiful!
I love these - perhaps because my maiden name is Bonnett. :)

Linda said...

Just beautiful!!!