Thursday, November 7, 2013

Fall Camping Trip and RAIN!

Fall is my very favorite time of the year to go camping.  Last week we, along with our son were able to camp at one of our favorite places, San Augustine Park. This is the view from our trailer. 
 

 
When camping for a week in October it's not unusual to see a cool front come through bringing with it a little rain or even a thunderstorm.  But this time we had more than a little!!  In nearby Jasper they had 10" and I'm pretty sure we had about that same amount.  It rained and rained and rained - over 24 hours of rain!!  We had a canopy over our picnic table that kept us dry for a while.  Eventually we had to go into the camper.  No pretty sunset or campfire this evening! 

 
After things dried out we were able to get out and hike a little.  The woods were pretty with the leaves showing their beautiful
fall colors.


We were able to see a beautiful clear sky  most nights and Venus was so bright and pretty.  It was so bright that as it dropped lower in the horizon and the sky became darker it created a reflection on the water.  I wish I could have gotten that picture!



Into each life some rain must fall.


We really did have a good time even with all the rain.  We caught enough fish for a fish fry and had a good campfire every night except one.  We heard owls and coyotes and saw two otters floating along the water's edge.
 
I have to admit though, it's good to be back home! 
I love camping but a week is about my limit.  
 
Happy Fall to You All! 
 
 
 
 
 
 

5 comments:

Carletta said...

My hubby and I camped a few times during our college years but it's not my cup of tea. :)
However, it would be lovely to see these gorgeous sunsets! You captured these beautifully!
I like the color and shadows in the leaves shot and honestly that tent and lantern shot has a very cozy feel about it.

Ginny Hartzler said...

I don't like camping, but you make it sound so wonderful that I want to go!!! My favorite picture is the last and I love your header, especially those trees!!!

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Sounds wonderful… What a beautiful place--even when it's raining.. As you know, George and I do a lot of hiking when it's raining!!!!! Love it!

Love your photos.. The sunset is beautiful and the Fall colors are awesome…

I do know how nice it is to get back home after being gone. It's nice to sleep in our own beds.. ha

Hugs,
Betsy

Marge said...

Fall camping is also my favorite. We are now down to a tent, however, so our trip to northern Minnesota in the rain was a bit difficult this year! We had an old little TV along and we were able to watch a video one night, and we read a lot! But with no tarp along to put over the picnic table, we couldn't be outside all the time like we prefer. You know what? We had a good time anyhow!

Jen S said...

Sounds fun! :) We'll have to camp again sometime - I kind of miss it! Hope yall can come to Inks Lake sometime soon!