It's very easy to spot the nest as soon as you drive up because of its size. They are on average five feet across and two feet tall. It is located along side the Llano River which I imagine is the prime source of their food supply. When we first drove up we didn't see any action at all in the nest but saw one of the parents flying across the highway. Finally we noticed the two little young ones pop their heads up and then they started practicing for their departure by exercising their wings - wingercizing! Still no parents but we continued waiting.
This eaglet will be fledging soon!!
The
young birds grow rapidly, gaining about a pound to their body weight every four or
five days in the beginning. At six weeks they are nearly as large as their parents.
A female bald eagle's body length
varies from 35 to 37 inches; with a wingspan of 79 to 90 inches. The smaller
male bald eagle has a body length of 30 to 34 inches; with a wingspan ranging
from 72 to 85 inches. This explains the need for such a huge nest!
Finally our waiting paid off! One of the parents flew in and we were able to watch these three for a while. Looks to me like they're still waiting for more food to be brought in from the other parent!
It was a great day and we will definitely try to make it
back next year.
| This was hanging on the fence near where we watched. I thought it was interesting. |
But those who trust in the LORD will find new strength. They will soar high on wings like eagles. They will run and not grow weary. They will walk and not faint. Isaiah 40:31
4 comments:
LOVE those Llano eagles!! They are so beautiful! I went back and saw them again Sunday. Saw one of the eaglest take flight and saw Mom/Dad - in the nest, on a branch, and in flight above us. They are amazing.
Oh my goodness, you got an amazing picture of the three!!!! And your Snow Moon is just a knockout, WOW!!!
How exciting to the eagles in their nest!!
I love that Bible verse!
Oh I'm so jealous... LOVE LOVE LOVE the Eagles. I watch them on the TV Camera from Decorah, Iowa. I have watched them for several years --and am addicted. IF I could see them in real life, I'd be totally in awe. You all are SO lucky... Wish you could see them when they fledge. SO SPECIAL....
Hugs,
Betsy
Post a Comment