Saturday, March 16, 2013

Springtime Camping in East Texas


Seems like this is the "Year of the Eagle" for us.  In February we saw eagles in the Hill Country and on this camping trip we were in for an amazing treat when a bald eagle landed in our campground.  We usually see one fly over the lake but have never seen one actually land in the campground. 

I almost didn't bother getting my camera since they usually don't stop - or at least we've never seen them land here. I'm so glad I did because he sat in a tall pine tree about 30 yards from our campsite and I was able to get about 20 shots.  The evening sun was shining on his beautiful white head which made everything even better!

After about 5-10 minutes he flew a little further away into the tip top of a tall tree closer to the lake.  I was able to get a few more pictures before he took off. 














 





 
 
 
I love this one!  Just such a beautiful bird!!



 
 

"The founding fathers made an appropriate choice when they selected the bald eagle as the emblem of the nation. The fierce beauty and proud independence of this great bird aptly symbolizes the strength and freedom of America."
President John F. Kennedy


Linking with Wild Bird Wednesday
 

15 comments:

Ginny Hartzler said...

Oh my goodness, your pictures are amazing and should be in National Geographic!!! You are full of lovely surprises today, I love your dogwood header!

Betsy Banks Adams said...

OH My Heart... I am so very very jealous.. Someone asked me just today what bird I hadn't seen that I'd want to photograph.. Guess what I said?????? An EAGLE... Your pictures are INCREDIBLE---best I've seen. Thanks so much!!!

Hugs,
Betsy

mick said...

Great photos of the Eagle. I'm glad you had your camera ready!

Karen said...

gorgeous photos, I love this eagle. He is truly stunning.

eileeninmd said...

Wow, awesome shots of the eagle. Well done!

HansHB said...

Awesome serie of photos!
Happy WBW!

Anonymous said...

Wonderful! It doesn't get any better than what you have here.

We have had two Bald Eagles fly-overs at our new home.

Carletta said...

Oh wow - excellent series!
I would have been beside myself with the opportunity.
You must be awfully glad now you went for your camera. :)

Stewart M said...

Great pictures - so lucky to get that close to these birds!

The Australian symbols are the Kangaroo and the Emu - and we eat both of them!!

Cheers and thanks for linking to WBW.

Stewart M - Melbourne

Unknown said...

Nice captures!! Boom & Gary of the Vermilon River, Canada.

~~~jennifer~~~ said...

Beautiful shots!

Neil said...

Beautiful series.

camp and cottage living said...

You sure got some beautiful shots!
He is so majestic!

GardenOfDaisies said...

Magnificent!!

Mary Howell Cromer said...

I bet you are glad you had the camera, these are great!