Friday, October 29, 2010

Rocky Mountain National Park

After our visit in Wyoming we headed back towards Texas but we were so close to Colorado that we just couldn't bypass the chance to spend one night in Rocky Mountain National Park even though it was a little out of our way. We stayed in the Morraine Campground.

We were definitely not disappointed.  We rode through the park the evening that we were there and were able to watch a whole herd of elk grazing in a meadow. It was the first time I had ever heard the bugling sound made by the bull elk. September and October are mating season for the elk and the bull elk could be heard loudly trying to keep his harem together and claiming his territory.






Fall seems to be a good time to visit Colorado. The weather was ideal with mild temperatures and the aspens were beautiful with their glittering gold leaves.



We hiked the trail around Bear Lake before packing up and leaving Morraine Park. It was beautiful but we didn't see any wildlife here. Several people that we talked to had seen a moose in this area the day before so we were hoping he would be back.



When through the woods and forest glades I wander
And hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;
When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur
And hear the brook and feel the gentle breeze;
Then sings my soul, my Saviour God to Thee; How great Thou art!
How great Thou art! Then sings my soul, my Saviour God to Thee;
How great Thou art! How great Thou art!

4 comments:

Marge said...

Oh what a wonderful trip you had! I'm itching to get back on the road. Won't be until January though and we'll not be able to stop along the road because of the temps. But we'll explore Arizona this year, I think. We camped in Canada in a campground surrounded by elk. It was so much fun to watch them!

Blessings, my friend!

Ginny Hartzler said...

Oh, what georgous pictures! Any one of them could be on a calendar! Another friend of mine just posted elk today, as well, and was talking about their bugling. Wish I could have heard it!

Ginny Hartzler said...

Forgot to say how much I love your header!!

HappyK said...

Beautiful photos. The elk is magnificent! How well the words fit the pictures. A favorite hymn of mine.