Monday, April 3, 2017

Into the Woods We Go

We were camped near Martin Dies State Park so we decided to hike a few of their trails one day. So glad we did. 

 Red Buckeye
 
 A real beauty that is a native plant of Texas and one that I think I need to plant at home. It attracts hummingbirds and butterflies so definitely on my list.


 

  When we signed in for the hike they told us how to find the eagle’s nest. You cross the bridge, turn left, go to the fourth bench, sit down and look straight across the lake. You find the dead tree in between clumps of pine trees and that’s where it’ll be. And that is exactly what we did and fortunately we were able to see not only the nest but an eagle sitting up above it. It was so far across the lake so not a great shot but at least we saw it. Not sure why they have a nest in a dead tree. Maybe it was not dead when they built it. Or maybe they like it because they have a better view of their surroundings. Would love to know!

Then on to the swampy part of the trail.  I love the sights and sounds of a marsh or swamp, although I'm always on the watch for a creepy crawling snake or alligator.  We were lucky and didn't see one this trip but we saw on Face Book that someone did see a huge rattle snake on the very day that we were there!


Looks like this tree will not be standing much longer!



Now back to camp.  I would not want to be on this little island 
after dark!!

The woods are lovely, dark and deep. But I have promises to keep, and miles to go before I sleep.  Robert Frost
 



2 comments:

Ginny Hartzler said...

It is all gorgeous!!

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Hi Jeanne, I am on Facebook (Betsy Banks Adams) if you want to 'friend' me.... I'm actually on FB more than blogging these days although I enjoy both programs.

Looks like your hike was fun... Neat to see the Eagle's Nest... I've never seen one .. I'll bet they come back to that tree as long as it is standing.. I read that they come back year after year to the same place....

NO---it wouldn't be fun to be in those woods at night.... YIPES.

Hugs,
Betsy