Wednesday, December 17, 2014

The Best Christmas Jam!

I ran across this recipe and just had to give it a try and I'm so glad I did!  I made it exactly like the recipe even though I thought 5 lbs of sugar would be too sweet but really it was just right.  It's from Taste of Home, one of my favorite sources for recipes.  I love having something to share with the neighbors or friends we may see during the holidays.  I've already tried it out on a  biscuit this morning and it was delicious and so pretty in color with the strawberry/cranberry combination.


Christmas Jam

Ingredients:

1 package (40 ounces) frozen unsweetened strawberries, thawed or 2-1/2 quarts fresh strawberries, hulled
1 pound fresh or frozen cranberries
5 pounds sugar
2 pouches (3 ounces each) liquid fruit pectin

 Directions:

1. Grind strawberries and cranberries in a food processor or grinder; place in a Dutch oven. Add sugar. Bring to a full rolling boil; boil for 1 minute. Remove from the heat; stir in pectin and return to a full rolling boil. Boil for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Remove from the heat.

2. Cool for 5 minutes; skim off foam. Carefully ladle hot mixture into hot half-pint jars, leaving 1/4-in. headspace. Remove air bubbles; wipe rims and adjust lids. Process for 10 minutes in a boiling-water canner. Yield: about 14half-pints.

I wish we could put up some of the Christmas spirit in jars and open a jar of it every month. 
~Harlan Miller 

Hope you're having some Christmas fun this week!

3 comments:

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Hello There, I enjoyed your post today. That jam sounds wonderful... Thanks for sharing the recipe.

Sorry I haven’t been around much lately. I do try to read blogs—but just haven’t commented very much lately like I usually try to do. Please don’t give up on me. Hopefully my life will be back to ‘normal’— whatever that is (ha), sometime in January.

I did get a cortisone shot in my knee —which has helped with the pain somewhat. In January, I will most likely have meniscus tear surgery…. BUT—in the meantime, I plan to have a fantastic Christmas —and hopefully get to see my kids/grands… God is Good.

Hugs,
Betsy

HappyK said...

Jam sound heavenly. I've saved the recipe and will give it a try. Thanks. Maybe next year I'll do that instead of the pumpkin bread.

Stewart M said...

There are few better things than the smell of toast and the anticipation of jam!

Hope you have a great Christmas.

Cheers - Stewart M - Melbourne