Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Juneau, Alaska - Our First Port of Call - Part I

While cruising the Inside Passage and nearing Juneau we were surrounded by beautiful scenery in all directions. 


Alaska's capital, Juneau, covers an area larger than  Rhode Island and Delaware individually and almost as large as the two states combined, but the population is only about 31,000.  There are no roads connecting Juneau to the rest of Alaska so the only way in is by boat or plane.  Ferry service is available for cars coming in.

We docked at 7am and departed for our first adventure of the day.  We went to a summer sled dog training camp where we learned all about dog sled racing and what a big thing this is in Alaska. 


For so many years dog sledding was used as the main form of transportation but now with planes and snow mobiles dog sledding has transformed into a huge sporting event in Alaska.  The annual Iditarod Race held in early March starts in Anchorage and ends in Nome.  It is often called the "World Series of mushing events"  or "The Last Great Race on Earth".   



Taking a break.  The white one was so eager to go! 



They all had their own little house with their name painted on it.





 



We even got to ride in a cart pulled by dogs.
This was my favorite.


They really seem to love getting their turn to pull the cart.  They each pull twice and then get to rest and a new team is hooked up. 
 
 You can learn more about Ititarod HERE.
  
Basic Musher Commands

Hike - Get moving
Gee - Turn to the right
Haw - Turn to the left
Easy - Slow down (accompanied by gentle pressure to the brakes)
Whoa! - Stop (accompanied by heavy pressure to the brakes)


 
.
"To the lover of wilderness, Alaska is one of the most wonderful places in the world." — John Muir



Hope you have a good weekend and enjoy some time outdoors.  We've been sitting outside a lot lately watching the humming birds as they get ready to head south.  They are very entertaining! 

Jeanne 

5 comments:

Jen S said...

I want to be back in Juneau right now! :)

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Gorgeous header, Jeanne... I love reading about your cruise and side trips. I'll bet learning about dog-sledding in Alaska was very interesting. I know that it is a 'big' thing there...

I am enjoying going on your trip with you.. Thanks!!!

Hugs,
Betsy

Marge said...

We have never been to Juneau but it is certainly on my list! We arrive back in the states tomorrow after our long drive up the road to Alaska. Have a wonderful trip! Hope you enjoy Alaska as much as we do!

HappyK said...

Wow, that scenery is breathtaking and those dogs are amazing.

SquirrelQueen said...

I saw your post on someone's sidebar and had to come over for a visit. I'm glad you enjoyed your trip to Alaska. I lived in Anchorage for ten years and my job took me all over the state including Juno, Nome and Barrow.