This was probably the highlight of our trip - being up close to a bald eagle. This 4 year old juvenile is not ready to be released today but hopefully some day he will. I didn't know until recently that bald eagles don't get the white on their head until about 5 years of age.
The group that rehabilitates these abandoned, injured, lost, or ill birds is called Last Chance Forever and is based in San Antonio. The birds are treated, nursed to health, and retaught to fly and hunt live prey. They released 4 birds on this trip and brought several others just to show us. What a great photo op for us!!
This bird is a Crested Caracara. They are birds of prey and mostly found in South and Central America, just reaching into the southern United Sates, including Arizona, Texas, and Florida. They are often seen with Black Vultures or Turkey Vultures.
This red tailed hawk didn't hesitate when released. He is now free!
Great Horned Owl - he had such beautiful eyes!
He had a very bad start to his freedom. When released they thought he would fly with the wind and into the trees, but instead he turned and flew against a strong wind and towards the lake. He ended up in the lake and floated for a while before finally flying to a nearby tree in the water. He eventually took off from there and made it to shore. It was a scary moment for all and the handlers were off to get a life jacket getting ready to jump in after him when he took off on his own.
This little tiny owl was also one of my favorites!! I think he is called a Burrowing Owl. He will never be able to go out on his own because one wing was so badly injured that it had to be removed. I'm sure he has a good life with the conservancy!
I still have a few more pics that I'll save for another time.
"Study nature, love nature, stay close to nature. It will never fail you."
-- Frank Lloyd Wright, (1867 - 1959) architect
-- Frank Lloyd Wright, (1867 - 1959) architect
6 comments:
What a fun day!! Great pics!!
wonderful, wonderful pictures! I think the burrowing Owl is my favorite. What a coincidence, I just saw hawks and owls at a rehab show yesterday! But our birds are mostly different from yours. No Bald Eagles and no Burrowing Owls for sure!
Oh Jeanne... What a fabulous experience. I would LOVED to have been there with you all. That is AWESOME. You got some tremendous photos. I have looked at them twice --and will probably look again... Thanks so much for sharing.
Hugs,
Betsy
Wow what a fantastic thing to witness. Great photos.
That one bird looked liked he had a knitted hat on his head! : )
What magnificent birds! And wonderful experience for you. So glad that there are people in this world who care enough to help all of God's creatures.
Hi Jeanne, thanks so much for following my blog. I couldn't find a follow button anyplace on your sidebar so that I could follow your blog, too.
Post a Comment