Saturday, January 26, 2013

A Quick Trip to the Coast

We made a quick trip to our neighboring state of Louisiana this week since the weather has been so nice and it was good to see all the improvements that have been made since Hurricane Rita in 2005. The first picture below is one we took a few months after the hurricane went through and totally flattened this little area of Holly Beach. We noticed lots of people have not re-built but are using travel trailers instead of re-building cabins. But the cabins that have been built are much sturdier than the ones before so maybe they will stand in any future storms.
2005 - after Hurricane Rita



We didn't see many people out and about but it was a week day.  I'm sure on the weekends this becomes a very lively place!  I can just smell the gumbo cooking now!  These Cajuns know how to cook their seafood!


 
We did see lots of these cute little gulls! 
 
 
It was a very calm day with on the beach.  
 
 
 
We saw several pelicans which is the state bird of Louisiana.  He was one that greeted us as we got on the ferry to cross into Cameron.

 
 
Oh, a wondrous bird is the pelican!
His bill holds more than his belican.
He can take in his beak
Enough food for a week.
But I'm darned if I know how the helican.
Dixon L Merritt
 
Happy Weekend!

3 comments:

Ginny Hartzler said...

I love your birds! The first one looks rather fluffed up! And the wonderfully whimsical poem.

Starting Over, Accepting Changes - Maybe said...

While walking on a beach in Florida some 20 years ago, I looked up as a pelican flew over. Just at that moment, nature took over, and he landed a big one on my forehead. They say that brings you luck. I am not sure that is true, but even after all this time, it does give me a laugh.

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Glad they are making progress since the hurricane. I lived in New Orleans for 5 yrs. in the '80's... We loved the Cajun area of Louisiana...

We also liked the beach area in Mississippi which also had alot of damage during Katrina...

I want to go back --but am so afraid that I'll be disappointed in what has happened around all of those areas... Thanks for the blog post... You gave me hope...

Hugs,
Betsy