Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Walnut Ridge Campground

In April we camped at Walnut Ridge with our son and had a good time fishing and trying out our new travel trailer.  We sold our little Casita and bought a 23' Puma.  It's still a fairly small trailer but quite a bit larger than the Casita.  We had a great spot and enjoyed our stay except for the "burn ban."  With the drought going on in Texas almost the whole state is under a burn ban so instead of sitting around a nice campfire at night, we sat around our citronella candles and lanterns.

We heard this bird a lot more than we saw him. It was so loud as he hammered into the trees but it was very hard to get a picture of him. He is a Pileated Woodpecker which is the largest woodpecker in America. They are about 16-19 inches or about the size of a crow. They mainly eat insects, especially carpenter ants and wood-boring beetle larvae, fruits, and nuts.







We were about to cross the bridge and walk a couple of trails near our campground when we ran into this little possum. yikes! He gladly turned back around so we didn't have to get too close to him.



This armadillo roamed around near our campground tormenting Sadie.


3 comments:

Marge said...

I'm used to camping with bear and racoons, not possums and armadillos! Love it when I get a glimpse of a Pileated Woodpecker....they really are huge aren't they. We sold our trailer, so not camping this year. We'll see what the future brings!

Ginny Hartzler said...

You got some great wildlife pictures! I think those pileateds are maybe even bigger than a crow. Glad the possum let you pass, I wouldn't want him hissing at me!

HappyK said...

Great photos and sounds like a great place to spend some time.
I think possums are so ugly and they have some mean looking teeth.
Love your header picture!