Saturday, October 9, 2010

Beautiful Day for a Walk Around the Lake

Sylvan Lake in Custer State Park


This is part of the trail around the lake.

Sadie loved this little walk.
We camped in the Sylvan Lake Campground which is about half a mile from the beautiful Sylvan Lake.  The lake is surrounded by massive rock formations and ponderosa pine trees.  It's really hard to capture the beauty of this place in pictures.  There was a wedding party getting ready for an evening wedding next to the lake.  Great place for a wedding but it was so windy and cold - I felt sorry for them out there.


Several trailheads begin at Sylvan Lake and one of them takes you to the top of Harney Peak, the highest mountain east of the Rockies.  The view is suppose to be very impressive, overlooking the Black Hills and with a view of Mount Rushmore.  We didn't take that trail but did take the mile trail around the lake.

Everybody needs beauty as well as bread, places to play in and pray in, where nature may heal and give strength to body and soul.  ~John Muir

8 comments:

Ginny Hartzler said...

Oh, my, how stunning! What beautiful blues in the lake picture!! Do people swim in it? It looks so pretty and there's not a person in sight. I imagine they had to cut those steps out of the rock, so unusual!

Jeanne said...

Yes I'm sure people probably swim there in the summertime but it's a mountain lake and it was very windy and cold when we were there. We did see one man flyfishing and we saw paddle boats for rent.

Brenda Leyland @ Its A Beautiful Life said...

Beautiful photos!

My first time visit and I'm glad I popped in.

Like that John Muir quote you posted.

Wishing you more glimpses of heaven in unexpected places.

Marge said...

Oh, isn't Sylvan Lake gorgeous? We really enjoy that area of the Hills. We've always said we were going to hike to Harney Peak, but we never have. I am enjoying my memories as I look at your pictures!

HappyK said...

Your title sounds like one of mine! :-)
I'd love to walk around there.

Kay said...

Thank you so much for stopping by my blog, Jeanne because it led me back to you. I just loved roaming through your blog for a look at Custer State Park. That really is very interesting. We'll definitely keep it on our travel list.

I have to get to bed now, but I need to come back and look at more of your gorgeous photos.

Sniffles and Smiles said...

Ooh...ahh...Simply spectacular!!!! That lake water is incredible!!! Love your new header photo as well!!! So beautiful! ~Janine XO

Arti said...

Lovely pics... The bus going through the tunnel is my favorite... Thanks for sharing this beautiful post!
Have a great weekend:)