I love making soup this time of year and especially spicy soups that are served with tortilla chips. I made this one last night and we enjoyed it with homemade chips.
Chicken Lime Soup
Ingredients
- 1 chicken breast half, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup finely onions
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 can chopped tomatoes
- 1 can Rotel tomatoes
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 lime, cut into thin slices
- 1 avocado, diced for topping
Directions
Season the chicken with the cumin and 1/4 teaspoon salt and set aside. In a large pot, sauté onion. Add seasonings and cook until soft about 3 minutes. Add chicken, garlic, tomatoes and sauté for about 3 minutes. Add the stock and lime juice and simmer over medium heat for 10 minutes. Season to taste.
Remove from heat and stir in the cilantro. Place 1 lime slice in each soup bowl and ladle the soup on top. Top each serving with diced avocado and serve with tortilla chips. We also like a little sour cream to top it off.
I like to make chips in oven using corn tortillas.
Baked Tortilla Chips
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
Lay the tortillas out on a cutting board, spray with the nonstick olive oil spray on both sides. If using a seasoning, sprinkle on both sides now. Stack the tortillas in piles of eight (8) tortillas. Using a sharp knife or pizza cutter, cut through the pile of tortillas, cutting into 4 equal triangles.
Arrange tortilla triangles in a single layer on baking sheets. Bake for approximately 6 to 7 minutes until crisp and the edges start to curl and turn lightly brown. Watch the chips carefully after 5 minutes, as they can burn easily. Once the chips are done, remove from the oven to cool. Chips will continue to crisp as they cool.
3 comments:
Hi Jeanne, Thanks for visiting my blog. I am enjoying yours. We have alot in common. My hubby and I are both retired and we love to travel/hike and search for waterfalls.
We leave about a couple of hours northwest of where that rockslide happened in TN --which you blogged about.
I also love birds and have several feeders out for them. We have Red-bellied constantly--along with several other woodpeckers---and many other backyard birds.
Hope you will come back to my blog. I certainly am enjoying yours.
Hugs,
Betsy
Sounds Wonderful!!!hughugs
Mmmmm!!! You need to write a soup cookbook!!! This is fabulous!!! Southwest soup!! Love it! ~Janine XO
Post a Comment